How to change your default Email client
RealtimeCRM allows you to send emails to Contacts by clicking on their email address. But before you can utilise this feature it is useful to make sure that your system is using the correct Email client.
There are two methods to changing your default email client, one is within the operating system, both Windows and OS X which will apply to all browsers and the other is to set the default email client inside the specific web browser you use. We will go through both methods.
Changing the default Email Client in Windows
- Click the start button and in the search bar type in ‘Control Panel’
- Now click ‘Control Panel’ from the search results list and in the Control Panel window that opens change the ‘view by:’ to ‘view by: Large Icons’ if it isn’t already to set to that
- Then select ‘Default Programs’ from the list
- From the list select ‘Associate a file type or protocol with a program’
- This should take you to another much larger list you should find and double click ‘MAILTO’, to get to ‘MAILTO’ faster than simply scrolling down to it simply click any item on the list and then press ’M’ and it will take you to the part of the list where items beginning with ’M’ start
- Once you’ve double clicked on ‘MAILTO’ you will get a list of programs you can set as your default Email client, in this example we will choose Microsoft’s ‘Mail’ application but you can choose other applications such as Outlook that you may have installed on your system
- Once you’ve set the new default client then every time you click on an email address in RealtimeCRM it will open in that program regardless of what web browser you’re using in this case we have chosen Microsoft’s Windows 10 Mail application.
Making Email links open in Gmail in Google Chrome
You may however elect not to use any desktop email clients but use web mail such as Gmail instead therefore email links in RealtimeCRM will open in Gmail.
- To begin click the ⋮ symbol in the top right corner of your Chrome browser
- From the drop-down list select ‘Settings’
- Scroll to the bottom of the Settings page and click Advanced
- Then under the ‘Privacy & security’ heading select ‘Content Settings…‘
- From the list select ‘Handlers’ and then make sure it is set to ‘Allow sites to ask to become default handlers for protocols (recommended)’
Now you should log into your Gmail account and once you’re logged in you should see the service handler symbol in the address bar click on it and select ‘Allow’, and from now on any email links in Chrome will open in Gmail including email links for RealtimeCRM Contacts.
Changing the Email Client in Firefox
- Click the menu button and choose ‘Options’
- Click on the ‘Applications’ panel
- Under the ‘Content Type’ column select ‘mailto’
- Click on the Actions column in the mailto row, to change the action.
- Select the web mail or Email client program installed on your system such as Gmail or Outlook that you want Email links in Firefox to open in
- Click ‘OK’ and your new preferences will have been saved
Changing the default Email Client in OS X
- Launch the Mail client in OS X, it can be found in the inside the Applications folder
- Click on ‘Mail’ on the top bar and then select ‘Preferences’ from the drop-down list
- Then under the ‘General’ tab look for the ‘Default email reader’ box and select the email client program you wish to use from the list
- By default it will be set to Mail but you can change it to whatever other Email Client you have installed on your system, once you’ve made the change simply click ‘Mail’ from the top bar again and then select ‘Quit Mail’.